Photo by Kafranbel Syrian Revolution[Download PDF version: Full]
In this UK election, let’s talk about Syria.
For a peaceful, democratic Syria, a Syria without Assad and a Syria without ISIS, we support the calls by Planet Syria activists and Syria Civil Defence rescue volunteers for action to stop the violence.
More than half of Syria’s people have been displaced. Millions have fled the country. Over 200,000 people have been killed. Syrians have been tortured, shot, bombed, starved, and gassed. Lend your voice to demand action. We cannot let the world turn its back on Syria.
There are over 4 million Syrian refugees, 94% of them in Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq and Egypt. The UK government has accepted only 143 of the most vulnerable Syrian refugees for resettlement, while at the same time they have pulled out of EU rescue efforts in the Mediterranean.
We call on the UK government to:
- Expand the Vulnerable Persons Relocation Scheme
- Contribute to expanding Operation Triton for Mediterranean rescue
- Work with the EU to allow safe routes for Syrians entering Europe
We call on UN Security Council permanent members UK, France, and USA, to:
- Protect Civilians
- Enforce UN Security Council Resolution 2139
- Stop Assad’s air attacks – Syria needs a No-Fly Zone